Wednesday 6 August 2008

Dipping my toes back into cancerland

I’ve been to the hospital today. Everything seems ok again thankfully. My Oncologist thinks I will be changing my medication next time I go as he is now quite certain I am post menopausal. I’ll be changing onto another drug – Aromasin (exemestane) so will have a whole load of new side effects to discover! From the little I do know, it seems that taking Aromasin after Tamoxifen seems to work well and keep cancer at bay more than Tamoxifen alone so I’m willing to give it a try. I will also have to have a bone scan as Aromasin isn’t too kind on your bones (or hair!). I’m feeling very 50/50 about that. I do have some aches and pains that I put down to Tamoxifen etc – none of them cause me any trouble really or are there all the time. At least if I have another scan I’ll know for certain. Gulp.

Not surprisingly I burst into tears when I saw him. I didn’t really manage to get much out of my mouth to be honest, but he knows I have had time off because of stress and it is still ongoing. Like my GP he asked if I was getting support from work, and said (his words) “This is the last thing you need right now”. I said I had seen Occ. Health and was hoping to see them again soon… (I emailed them again yesterday).

The actual treatment went ok - the nurse got straight into a vein. Hurrah!! That makes a change.

For the first time since I returned to work after my original cancer treatment I didn't go back to work afterwards today. I can't face it when I have this to deal with.

So, I’m done for 6 months now.

3 comments:

Anji said...

I'm sorry I haven't been by for a while. Sounds like things have been very down at work. Good luck with the new medication, hope it doesn't have too many side effects

Doris said...

Sounds quite cr*p and what with the menopause thing too. (((Hugs)))

Meanwhile, not that I have anything exciting to talk about, I have gone into stealth mode on my blog. Jo - email me gransonbran@gmail.com with a suitable email addy and I'll give you access.

Bestest!

Roz said...

Aromasin is good for me Jo....nothing wrong with my hair (or loss of it) except that it is white!! ha ha. My side effects are nothing and I have been on it for over 2 years now...Yes, you are right too, I was told that Aromasin after Tamoxifen is excellent at keeping the big C away!!!!