Wednesday 4 January 2006

Maybe I should explain...

Thought I should explain a bit about the type of chemo I'm having.

I'm on E/CMF. I've had 4 x Epirubicin and am now nearly there with the CMF (4 cycles, 2 infusions each cycle. 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off with a week off for Christmas!!).

I think I have been very lucky with the side affects. The Epi knocked me out for a few days each time. I used to spend a few days in my pj's feeling really crap on that. Also, my sense of taste and smell went loopy. I used to gag when I smelt anything made of rubber or plastic. Yuk. No actual sickness though - phew. Oh, it also put me off any red liquid. I can't drink cranberry, blackcurrant etc any more now. It's also put me off wine!!

The CMF is much easier for me. My taste buds are almost back to normal, I just have a much sweeter tooth than I ever had before. Smells aren't as bad on CMF either.

With both of them, the fatigue has been the worst thing for me. I find I can only do one thing each day and if I try to do any more I'm just knocked out the day after. This does my head in.

Oh, and the lack of concentration is annoying too. I've been reading the same book since April, not like me at all. But, apart from mouth ulcers, sore skin, blisters and a bit of cystitis I've got away quite lightly I think (touch wood!). The best thing is I'll be finished with it in a month. I think my last chemo is on 3rd Feb. Just rads and tamoxifen to go then....

No comments: