Wednesday 21 May 2008

Where do I go from here?

Been out and about today (shopping but not one penny spent - if you don't count lunch!), and came home to 5 messages on my answering machine from my big boss so thought I'd better call back...

She and my immediate line manager went to see HR yesterday. The HR adviser agreed the behaviour was definitely bordering on harassment and/or bullying. She said they were there most of the afternoon discussing it. Anyway, the outcome is my big boss has spoken to the whole team and has read a statement to them explaining how serious it is, and that if anything should happen again there will be no option other than to take formal proceedings (grievance, disciplinary etc). She also explained the effect it has had on me, and that I am off sick as a result of their collective behaviour. I think she pointed out that those of them who knew something was going on but did nothing to stop it were also in the wrong. She will be issuing them all with a copy of her "statement".

Big boss said it was met with stony silence... She asked me how I feel now. I said I don't know. I said yes, if they now take it on board fine but what if they don't? She said it wouldn't be tolerated again, and would go straight into a more formal route. She said she was still upset that I was sick because of this, but thinks a bit of space is the right thing to have just now, while the dust settles a bit.

She is going to send me a copy of it, so I can have a read of it myself. Oh, and I am getting referred to Occupational Health now - probably for counselling.

I don't know how I feel about it now. I don't know what I expected to happen, but I just think words are very easy and how the hell do I walk back into the office now pretending it's all over? I really hate these people now (strong emotion I know, but how I feel), and how am I going to get over that? I think I need a bit longer to lick my wounds...

2 comments:

Doris said...

The thing about having been bitten so many times (in the form of bullying) is that it quite naturally makes one really wary not to put yourself in a situation to be bitten again. You would have to be superhuman, and as thick skinned as can be, to walk right in after just hearing about that statement. Being told it was met with a stony silence would be enough to keep me away. If it had been met with tears and apologies and compassion then I might consider returning ONCE I felt a bit stronger.

At least the line manager is doing what they ought to do. And accepting the occupational health referral shows you are are trying to get back to work. But then it will become clear to them how distressed you are or have been.

Yep, I'd lick my wounds for a bit longer too. Something else needs to shift too and not just you and your line manager. Ordering a change doesn't mean that a change is in the offing.

Doris said...

Hmm. How are you doing? The trouble with blogging is that other people, strangers even, start to think about you and hope you are OK or getting by. So, sometimes, you end up getting comments like this one that you have to at least write a few words, in the comments even, to say you are OK even if it is of sorts.

:-)