Thursday 15 May 2008

Anniversaries etc

Yesterday was the 3 year anniversary of my breast cancer diagnosis. 3 whole years... And what a 3 years it has been! In all honesty though, yesterday just felt like any other date. It's nothing special, and certainly isn't anything to celebrate. It's a date I just wish I could forget completely. Maybe next year...

As for the work situation, that's very much in the forefront of my mind. I am trying not to give it too much headspace, after all surely the reason I am off work is to allow myself a break from it?? But it's still there, rattling around my head.

Off to the docs tomorrow to see whether they will sign me off for a bit longer. Hopefully that will give work some time to sort the whole sorry situation out.

2 comments:

Doris said...

Hi Jo

You don't know me, I saw your comment on Minerva's blog and just felt an instinct to click on your profile. And I've read your posts on this page and the horrific bullying you are going through.

I am so pleased for you that you have phoned in sick and told them you can not cope because there lays the path of some sort of support / compensation whilst you get through these times.

Even though by default I only read half the story here, it is outrageous the way you have been treated. As if you don't have enough to deal with.

There is an organisation called Bullyonline I think it is a .org address and covers workplace bullying. Perhaps you already know of it.

May I offer some thoughts.... I have ten years on you but otherwise, I have not had the experience of coping with cancer. Something I learned in life is that it is better to open up and let people in. Let them in to help - even though you have had this recent horrific situation of people trampling over you, in the end it is better to let others in.

It might be the third anniversary and that is rather poignant (as well as a complete pain!) but my grandmother in years waaaay back lived for decades with breast cancer. She had a mastectomy and whatever but she kept going. So what I am saying, is that you have a life to lead whilst you work on the cancer stuff.

The other thing is that I have a dear friend with breast cancer diagnosis. She went to the Penny Brohn Centre in Bristol (I think you are UK based) and whilst it does cost a lot I think it has made the world of difference. My friend is surviving breast cancer and changed her entire life as a result of it, but changed it for the better. If it wasn't for the cancer then maybe she wouldn't have made the changes she has.

But it is still a bummer and my heart goes out to you. Even though I don't know you, for this moment I am here for you. And will think of you at times in the days ahead.

Sending you hugs and strength and mega energy.

xx

Doris said...

Oh yes, and the other thing is that I blog mostly anonymously. A few friends know but it has been so great to have a place to share and talk out loud and importantly to feel safe doing so.